Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Life of a Soldier

2 Timothy 2:3-4 "Suffer hardship with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No soldier in active service entangles himself in the affairs of everyday life, so that he may please the one who enlisted him as a soldier."

Paul exhorts Timothy, his "beloved child", to join him in willingly, joyfully embracing ongoing suffering for the sake of Savior Jesus. The reasoning and motivation for this lifestyle is because they are not employees of Jesus, but soldiers of Jesus.

All soldiers are trained to fight and expect to do so should there be war. Therefore, Paul pleads with Timothy to live with a soldier's mindset. That means not allowing oneself to become occupied in civilian activities which make a soldier less effective or even useless in battle. A good soldier doesn't use his idle time to play golf, he runs to keep his body fit. Even as he relaxes his rifle is near and he waits for his instructions.

I am not called to comfort and relaxation. I am called to suffer and strive, denying myself even simple, mundane pleasures. Every day, every hour, every choice is an opportunity to live for Jesus and not for myself. I cannot become "entangled in everyday life" so that I will be a good soldier. How do I not become entangled when so much of my life is mundane and does not seem like warfare? How does this work itself out when my "active duty" is playing with Abram and changing diapers?

Perhaps when discerning whether something is "active duty" or "everyday life" I should ask, "Is this what Jesus has chosen for me or is this what I have chosen for myself?". That seems to be the difference between a civilian and a soldier. The civilian decides how to use his own time, but a soldier looks to their commander to decide because the decision is not theirs to make. One is under a higher authority, the other is not.

So how can I live with a soldier's mindset today? What practical things can I do or not do to be a good soldier? I cannot pause and read the Bible before every decision I make today, but I can pause and pray. I will ask and listen to make sure that what I'm doing is Jesus' idea and not my own. Then I must rely on Him, because the One who called me into service is the only One who can sustain my service. The commands He issues are not that of a hard, staunch drill-sergeant but rather a Sovereign, Servant-King who loves me and gave His life for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment